Sunday, August 7, 2011

Horizons Unlimited Motorcycle Traveller's Meeting, USA East, August 2011

I've been hanging out a lot with men in their 50's and 60's recently. Seems to be the crowd that shares my interests: endurance cyclists and motorcycle tourists. This weekend I travelled to Robbinsville, NC to attend the USA Eastern Horizons Unlimited Motorcycle Traveller's Meeting, held at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge and Campground (about a three and a half hour trip from Boone).

Above, Susan and Grant Johnson, speaking at Horizons Unlimited US East meeting.

Horizons Unlimited is comprised of Susan and Grant Johnson (along with volunteers), "Consultant Bikers." After having completed a round the world motorcycle trip, they have share their experience and knowledge with others through their web site, forums, and a DVD set entitled: The Achievable Dream.



I arrived Saturday morning and spent the day in informative sessions including a women's discussion where we talked about motorcycle clothes, boots, bikes, and commiserated about loved ones that don't understand our love of riding. There were sessions about fixing flat tires, using a Garmin GPS, and travel presentations for Alaska, Costa Rica,  Mexico, Europe, Bosnia, and around-the-world


I had a great time. I never stopped talking to people. I got the chance to see a lot of bikes decked out for long distance travel, to ask people about Mexico border crossings, and  to learn a little about riding a dual-sport off-road.

The best part of the weekend was getting the chance to talk to other people that were interested in motorcycle travel past the US borders. More importantly-- people that KNOW it is possible because they have done it themselves.

And to think, I almost let my best friend talk me out of that motorcycle trip to Central America.

No comments:

Post a Comment