Saturday, December 3, 2011

Las Tierras Altas, Mountain Biking Near Antigua

Headed out early in the morning, ate breakfast at a great place called Fernando's Cafe. Walked to Old Town Outfitters, a local tour operator, for a mountain bike ride with our guide, Arnoldo. Upon seeing us, I think Arnoldo was a bit worried, John in his jeans and me in my maryjane shoes. I think he was reassured him when we were able to make it up the first big hill.

The ride was a mix of paved road and dirt. Riding on the dirt proved a challenge for us roadies. The cliff next to the single dirt track was like a Siren's call to my front tire. I fell twice, landing quite close to the edge the second time. That was when I realized we didn't sign a liability waiver...   ; )

I made it safely to the small town of San Andres Itzapa to visit with San Simon (known as Maximon in other regions), A wax figure behind glass, people offer gifts of cigarettes, alcohol, and cigars in exchange for various benefits. San Simon is not so much a Christian saint but a Mayan folk saint with roots that go back before Columbus.

The ride lasted four hours, a good workout resulting in a great appetite. We ate at a chicken chain restaurant, Pollo Campero, breaking with my vegetarian ways with chicken and fries. That evening we enjoyed several free Christmas activities along the streets of Antigua including a children's Christmas concert and a live nativity. Antigua may be the Disneyland of Guatemala but it is still a lovely and welcoming place.

No comments:

Post a Comment